- Sharing information: The computer can help you centralize the information and maintain control over it if you select one computer to store the shared information and have all other computers reference the information on that computer over the network.
- Sharing hardware resources: A network allows anyone connected to the network to use printers, fax modem, scanners, tape backup units or almost any other device that can be attached to a computer.
- Sharing software resources: Administrator can centrally install and configure the software and also restrict access to the software. It is easier than doing it on every one of the computers in an organization.
- Preserving information: A network also allows for information to be backed up to a central location. It is difficult to maintain regular backups on a number of stand-alone computers so important information can be lost easily by mistake or by accident.
- Protecting information: A network provides a more secure environment for a company’s important information than stand-alone computers. Networks provide an additional layer of security by way of passwords.
- Electronic-mail (e-mail): The computer network can also help people communicate by e-mail. You can attach electronic documents to mail message like photo, sound and video clip.
ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER NETWORK
Computer networks have highly benefited various fields of educational sectors, business world and many organizations. There are some major advantages which compute networks has provided making the human life more relaxed and easy. Some of them are listed below:
- Ease of Communication: Communication is one of the biggest advantages provided by the computer networks.Different computer networking technology has improved the way of communications people from the same or different organization can communicate in the matter of minutes for collaborating the work activities.
- Data sharing: All the data such as documents, file, accounts information, reports multimedia etc can be shared with the help computer networks. Hardware sharing and application sharing is also allowed in many organizations such as banks and small firms.
- Instant and multiple accesses: Computer networks are multiply processed .many of users can access the same information at the same time. Immediate commands such as printing commands can be made with the help of computer networks.
- Saves Cost: Computer networks save a lot of cost for any organizations in different ways. Building up links thorough the computer networks immediately transfers files and messages to the other people which reduced transportation and communication expense.
- Internet Service: Computer networks provide internet service over the entire network. Every single computer attached to the network can experience the high speed internet. Fast processing and work load distribution.
- File Sharing: The major advantage of a computer network is that is allows file sharing and remote file access. A person sitting at one workstation of a network can easily see the files present on the other workstation, provided he is authorized to do so. It saves the time which is wasted in copying a file from one system to another, by using a storage device.
- Resource Sharing: Resource sharing is also an important benefit of a computer network. For example, if there are four people in a family, each having their own computer, they will require four modems (for the Internet connection) and four printers, if they want to use the resources at the same time. A computer network, on the other hand, provides a cheaper alternative by the provision of resource sharing.
- Increased Storage Capacity: As there is more than one computer on a network which can easily share files, the issue of storage capacity gets resolved to a great extent. A standalone computer might fall short of storage memory, but when many computers are on a network, memory of different computers can be used in such case. One can also design a storage server on the network in order to have a huge storage capacity.
- Flexibility: Computer networks are quite flexible all of its topologies and networking strategies supports addition for extra components and terminals to the network. They are equally fit for large as well as small organizations.
- Photographs and large files: Computer network can also be used for sending large data file such as high resolution photographs over the computer network to more then when users at a time.
DISADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER NETWORKS
- Data Security Issues: One of the major drawbacks of computer networks is the security issues involved. If a computer is a standalone, physical access becomes necessary for any kind of data theft. However, if a computer is on a network, a computer hacker can get unauthorized access by using different tools. In case of big organizations, various network security software are used to prevent the theft of any confidential and classified data.
- Rapid Spread of Computer Viruses: If any computer system in a network gets affected by computer virus, there is a possible threat of other systems getting affected too. Viruses get spread on a network easily because of the interconnectivity of workstations. Such spread can be dangerous if the computers have important database which can get corrupted by the virus.
- Expensive to install: The initial set up cost of a computer network can be high depending on the number of computers to be connected. Costly devices like routers, switches, hubs, etc ., can add up to the bills of a person trying to install a computer network. He will also have to buy NICs (Network Interface Cards) for each of the workstations, in case they are not inbuilt.
- Dependency on the Main File Server: In case the main File Server of a computer network breaks down, the system becomes useless. In case of big networks, the File Server should be a powerful computer, which often makes it expensive.