There are two major classifications of land based on uses. These are:
(a) Agricultural Land: Agricultural land include:
- Land for crop production.
- Livestock production.
Note: Crop production, livestock production and fisheries can be grouped as farming or agricultural purpose.
- Wildlife conservation.
(b) Non-Agricultural Land: The following are non-agricultural uses of land:
- Industrial or factory use.
- Construction of building (Residential purposes).
- Sports centres eg stadia, race course, golf course.
- Recreational purpose, e.g parks.
- Worship places e.g churches, mosques, shrine.
- Transportation, e.g railway, airports and roads.
- Commercial purpose, e.g banks and warehouse.