There is inter-dependence and interrelationship existing among nations of the world. No nation is an island. Nations of the world have become so closely related to one another as a result of breakthrough in communication, formation of different types of organisations etc. Therefore, development of a nation cannot be done without relating or interacting with other nations. In the process of these interactions, benefits are derived in different areas of human endeavour.
Nigeria interacts with many nations of the world, politically, economically, socially, culturally etc and this is made possible through the establishment of high commissions, embassies and consulates abroad. Nigeria, equally play host to many foreign missions located in Nigeria.
Nigeria also belongs to international, regional or sub-regional organisations, e.g. United Nations Organisations(U.N.O), African Union (AU) and Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). She is also a member of the Oil Producing Exporting Countries (OPEC).
THE NEED FOR INTERACTION
- Political reason for Interaction: States agree to interact through the formation of different organizations, e.g. U.N.O and AU This is done in order to create opportunity for a peaceful and secured world, good government and to avoid the interference of one state or states in others, which may result in war of world-wide dimension. Therefore, member-states of such organizations are made to abide by the principles governing such organizations.
- Economic reason for interaction: Natural resources are unevenly distributed worldwide and nations can only benefit from one another through such interactions. Nations get what they don’t have through such interaction and it has added impetus to the economic advancement of most states.
- Socio/cultural reason for interactions: This is very important because it promotes love and friendship among nations and eliminates conflicts. Nations are brought together to share things in common, derive some benefits in the areas of culture, sports, football, e.g. World Cup competition staged every four years and also the staging of musical concerts.
ADVANTAGES OF INTERACTIONS AMONG NATIONS OF THE WORLD
- Peace and security: Through membership and interactions existing in these international or regional organisations, e.g. U.N.O. and AU member-states are meant to abide by the principles governing these bodies thereby promoting peace and security world-wide.
- Closer relationship: Especially in the areas of sports, musical and cultural concerts etc, nations are drawn closer mutually. They relate intimately with one another and by so doing conflicts are eliminated.
- Economic advancement: Interactions bring about states benefiting from others that are more economically viable, especially in the areas of natural endowment, technology etc.
- Cultural and social benefits: States benefit immensely from others, especially through sports, cultural exchange etc. They learn from one another as it brings them closer together.
- Removal of interference: Political interaction removes the tendency of one state or more interfering in the domestic affairs of other states or even trying to dominate others.
- Foreign aids: Interactions among states can attract technological, financial and technical aids to developing countries from the developed ones.
- Investment opportunities: Also, the coming together of nations can open doors to investment opportunities.
- Establishment of political organizations: The existence of interaction among nations has led to the establishment of political organizations, e.g. U.N.O and A.U. associations and blocs, High Commissions, embassies.
- Spread of civilization and modernization: Interactions among nations of the world can spread civilization and modernization and even help to promote tourism as well.
- Reduction of hostilities: The hostilities among nations of the world are reduced to the barest minimum through interactions.
DISADVANTAGES OF INTERACTIONS AMONG NATIONS OF THE WORLD
- Cultural/Social problems: Through interactions in sports, cultural concerts etc, social problems such as immoral acts, promiscuity, indecency, prostitution etc could be exported to some countries.
- Interference of states: Developed nations can still interfere in the domestic affairs of the less developed nations because of the economic benefits the less developed countries are deriving from the developed nations.
- Neo-colonialism: Interactions among states, economically, politically etc can lead to neo-colonialism and this can make nonsense of the hard-won independence of these developing states from their erstwhile colonial masters.
- Inferior or poorly produced goods: Interactions among states can lead to some developed countries making some of the third world countries dumping ground for their inferior or poorly produced goods.
- Control of states: Political and economic interactions associated with the membership of some of the organizations, e.g. U.N.O. and I.M.F can bring about control of the sovereignty of less powerful states, as most of these organizations are controlled by the big powers.