Some of the major problems facing tourism development in Nigeria include the following:
- Inadequate funding: In Nigeria, the tourism industry is poorly funded. Poor funding has led to the poor development of the sub-sector.
- lack of access roads: In Nigeria, there is basically lack of access roads to most resort centres. Many of the roads are in bad shape and this tends not to attract tourists to such centres.
- Poor publicity: Lack of effective publicity or communication system for publicizing the scenery, wildlife and cultural attractions to visitors is a big problem in the country.
- Inadequate personnel: One of the problems of developing tourism attractions in Nigeria is the inadequacy of competent and trained tourism personnel. Very few personnel are trained and competent.
- lack of private investment: In Nigeria, tourism development are left in the hand of government. Government alone cannot develop tourism in Nigeria.
- Inadequate infrastructure: Basic infrastructure like electricity, pipe-borne water etc are inadequate and in some areas are lacking and this tends to reduce the development of tourism in Nigeria.
- Security problems: Tourism is unable to develop in Nigeria as a result of threat of security such as the occurrence of kidnappers and Boko Haram in the country.
- Absence of tourism boards: There is complete absence of tourism boards in the country. This has lead to the poor development of tourism in Nigeria.
SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEMS OF TOURISM IN NIGERIA
- Increase in budgetary provision: there should be increase and release of budgetary provisions by the government for tourism development. Such fund will go a long way in providing infrastructural development of the country.
- Launching of tourism development trust fund: the government should launch tourism Development fund. This fund will also go a long way to ensure adequate provision of capital for tourism development in the country.
- Provision of enabling environment: the government should also provide the enabling environment for tourism to strive. Regulations and laws have to be flexible so as to attract investors into the industry.
- Pursuance of aggressive marketing: Pursuance of aggressive marketing strategies have to be put in place to promote tourism assets locally and internationally.
- Engagement of private sector: the government should encourage and embrace the private sector in order to drive the tourism development programmes.
- Establishment of more tourism boards: More tourism boards should be established by the government. These boards do encourage the growth and development of tourism in the country.