Some of the major problems facing tourism development in Nigeria include the following:
- Inadequate funding: In Nigeria, the tourism industry is poorly funded. Poor funding has led to the poor development of the sub-sector.
- lack of access roads: In Nigeria, there is basically lack of access roads to most resort centres. Many of the roads are in bad shape and this tends not to attract tourists to such centres.
- Poor publicity: Lack of effective publicity or communication system for publicizing the scenery, wildlife and cultural attractions to visitors is a big problem in the country.
- Inadequate personnel: One of the problems of developing tourism attractions in Nigeria is the inadequacy of competent and trained tourism personnel. Very few personnel are trained and competent.
- lack of private investment: In Nigeria, tourism development are left in the hand of government. Government alone cannot develop tourism in Nigeria.
- Inadequate infrastructure: Basic infrastructure like electricity, pipe-borne water etc are inadequate and in some areas are lacking and this tends to reduce the development of tourism in Nigeria.
- Security problems: Tourism is unable to develop in Nigeria as a result of threat of security such as the occurrence of kidnappers and Boko Haram in the country.
- Absence of tourism boards: There is complete absence of tourism boards in the country. This has lead to the poor development of tourism in Nigeria.
SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEMS OF TOURISM IN NIGERIA
- Increase in budgetary provision: there should be increase and release of budgetary provisions by the government for tourism development. Such fund will go a long way in providing infrastructural development of the country.
- Launching of tourism development trust fund: the government should launch tourism Development fund. This fund will also go a long way to ensure adequate provision of capital for tourism development in the country.
- Provision of enabling environment: the government should also provide the enabling environment for tourism to strive. Regulations and laws have to be flexible so as to attract investors into the industry.
- Pursuance of aggressive marketing: Pursuance of aggressive marketing strategies have to be put in place to promote tourism assets locally and internationally.
- Engagement of private sector: the government should encourage and embrace the private sector in order to drive the tourism development programmes.
- Establishment of more tourism boards: More tourism boards should be established by the government. These boards do encourage the growth and development of tourism in the country.
Don Steve is an education blogger who encourages learners to embrace the quest for knowledge as education is the most important weapon, which can be used to change the world. Blogging is my inspiration.