Metalwork is the process of working with metals to create individual parts, assemblies or large-scale structures.
Types and Functions of Metalwork Machines
There are different types of metalwork machine, which include a wide variety of equipment used to cut and shape metals such as lathes, millings and planer machines.
These equipment include basic tools used to modify the surface of finished metal. They include the following:
- Cold saw: It is a sawing machine that uses a circular saw blade to cut metal. It transfers the heat generated by cutting, to the chips created by the saw blade, so that the blade and material being cut remain cold. It is equipped with an electric motor and a gear reduction unit to reduce the saw blade’s rotational speed while maintaining constant torque.
- Alligator shear: It is also called a lever shear. It is a metal cutting shear with a hinged saw, powered by a flywheel or hydraulic cylinder. It is generally set up as stand-alone shears. It can be used for cutting long length metal stock or scrap.
- Hack saw: It is used for cutting metal sheets and pipes.
- Grinding machine: It is often called a grinder and is used for grinding. It is a type of machine that uses an abrasive wheel as the cutting tool. Examples are belt grinder; bench grinder; cylindrical grinder; surface grinder; tool and cutting grinder; and gear grinder.
- Drilling machine also called drill press is used to cut holes into or through metals and other materials.
- Lathes: These are used in metalworking, metal spinning and shape pottery.
Care and Maintenance of Metalwork Machines
The following are the ways of taking care and maintaining a metalwork machine.
- Cleaning of files with wire brush.
- Oiling of some tools with moving parts, including lubricating the machines.
- Maintaining cutting angles and sharpening of tools.
- Being cautious of sparks produced while grinding.